HOW TO AVOID SKIN ISSUES FROM WEARING FACE MASKS ?
While we try to protect ourselves and others with face masks, many of us are experiencing skin issues…
As face masks are becoming a mandatory for the general public to wear on public transport and in shops, you might be wondering about the impact of those masks on your skin health.
Face Masks effect on Skin
When Face masks are properly worn and fitted, it creates a pressure on the skin. Therefore this process increases the temperature and humidity around our nose, mouth and chin area. This combination could lead to a build up of sweat & oil on the skin and can create: spots, irritation, inflammation, rashes, trauma lines, skin discoloration and acne breakouts.
Best way to address the issue:
- Always wear a clean mask. The World Health Organisation states: “Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not reuse single-use masks.”
- Moisture your skin well before wearing your mask. Frictions from the masks can create skin irritations.
- If you are wearing cloth masks make sure that they are not made of synthetic fabric such as polyester. Synthetic fabrics will increase the sweat and they are not gentle on the skin. We recommend using a soft cotton or other natural fabrics.
- Wash your fabric masks between uses and at 60 degrees to kill all the bacteria. The Centre for Disease Control states that “a washing machine should suffice properly washing a face covering”.
- Non-Bio detergents and fabric softeners might create irritations. Choose a bio / sensitive or skin friendly products to wash them.
- Avoid wearing make up especially if you have to wear the mask for a long time.
- For sensitive skin, as soon as you remove your mask wash your face and apply a soothing moisturiser.
- If you have an acne-prone skin you can use Niacanamide- Zinc based moisturisers or serums. You can easily find them on Medik8 Break out Defence & Age Repair or The Ordinary Niacinamide and Zinc serum
- In case of inflammation try to use pure aloe vera gel under your moisturiser – it will reduce the inflammation.
- If your Acne or Skin irritation continues get a Free Consultation at Nar London Harley Street for a professional specialist to give you the best options related to your skin condition.
Stay Safe, Covid & Acne Free